Executing searches with no text in the Search Terms entry field will render no results.
print page

Nuclear Engineering

Nuclear Criticality Safety Academic Certificate

Nuclear Engineering Graduate Degree Programs

Fred Gunnerson, Program Director (UI at Idaho Falls, 1776 Science Center Dr., Idaho Falls, ID 83402; phone 208/533-8107; fgunners@if.uidaho.edu; www.if.uidaho.edu/ne). Faculty: John Crepeau, Fred Gunnerson, Thomas E. Bitterwolf, Batric Pesic, Vivek Utgikar, Indrajit Charit, Supathorn Pongikaroon, Akira Tokuhiro.

The world's growing need for energy requires a diversity of energy sources, including nuclear energy. Approximately 20% of the electricity used in the U.S. stems from nuclear power. As power plants continue to age there is a need to develop next-generation nuclear reactors and to educate future generations of nuclear scientists and engineers. The demand for nuclear engineers is projected to significantly outpace supply during the next decade. For more information please see our webpage at www.if.uidaho.edu/ne/.

Admissions Requirements and Procedures. The minimum requirements to enter any of the graduate programs in nuclear engineering are: an undergraduate degree in engineering or closely related field from an ABET accredited U.S. program, does not include technical degrees; and a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or better on a 4.0 scale. GRE General Exam is recommended but not required for students with an undergraduate degree from a U.S. ABET accredited program. The GRE General Exam is required for all other applicants. Minimum scores required: Verbal 470, Quantitative 680, Analytical Writing 4.5. TOEFL (minimum score: computer based 249, paper based 605) is required for all students whose primary language is not English. All applicants are required to submit 3 letters of recommendation, a 1-2 page Statement of Career Objectives and a 1-2 page Curriculum Vitae/Resume. Applicants to any of the graduate programs are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the program's Graduate Committee. Some applicants who have a baccalaureate degree in a field other than engineering may be required to complete certain undergraduate deficiency courses before they will be allowed to take graduate level courses.


See the course description section for courses in Nuclear Engineering (NE).