Executing searches with no text in the Search Terms entry field will render no results.
print page

Student Services

Academic Advising Center

Alumni Association

Career Center

Child Care Services

Computer Education

Counseling & Testing Center

Dean of Students

Greek Life

Judicial Affairs

National Student Exchange

Violence Prevention Programs & Resource Services

UI Children's Center

Veterans' Benefits for Educational Assistance

Women's Center

Human Resources, Student and Temporary Hiring

Intercollegiate Athletics

Multicultural Affairs

Polya Mathematics Center

Recreational, Social, Extracurricular, and Co-curricular Activities

Religious Activities

Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program

Student Accounts and Cashiers

Statistics Assistance Center

Student Financial Aid Services

Student Health Insurance Program

Student Health Services

Student Rights, Conduct, and Records

Tutoring and Academic Assistance Programs (TAAP)

Writing Center

Academic Advising Center

Teaching Learning Center 231, 138; 208/885-9831;

At the University of Idaho, academic advising is performed at the department- or college-level. Students are assigned an advisor by the college or department for the major(s) as a student has declared. The Academic Advising Center (AAC) serves as a clearinghouse for academic advising information and is a point of contact where new and continuing students receive help in finding their way to the appropriate college and department advisors.

The AAC is also a center for delivery of development programs on academic advising for faculty and staff advisors and is the primary site for advising of BGS (Bachelor of General Studies) majors at the freshman and sophomore levels. AAC staff can assist students considering a change of major and consult with advisors and students who have questions regarding general education requirements.

Alumni Association

Alumni Center; 208/885-6154; alumni@uidaho.edu;

The University of Idaho Alumni Association exists to foster and coordinate the support of alumni and friends of the university in strengthening the academic, research, service, and leadership-building programs of the institution. It also provides individual alumni services to its non-dues paying members throughout the world.

All former UI students who earned a UI degree or at least 90 credits at UI, and associate and honorary alumni are members of the association. The director of alumni relations and staff, along with an elected board of directors, guide the many programs, services, and activities for the more than 75,000 members.

The Alumni Association strives to keep alumni informed about their alma mater, encourage university loyalty and material support, and apprise the university community of alumni opinion. Through a variety of awards, the association honors outstanding alumni, students, or other individuals who provide exceptional service to the institution or state of Idaho. Scholarships are given by the association to help both entering and continuing students at the university.

Alumni can maintain close ties with the university through Alumni Association services, such as travel tours, and campus, national, and worldwide gatherings for special UI occasions, including reunions and Silver and Gold Events. The association also provides and organizes support for the university through active organizations, such as the Student Alumni Relations Board and the UI Retirees Association.

Areas of recent emphasis for the association include recruiting and informing prospective students about the university, and increasing volunteer support through the development of alumni chapters and constituency groups. The association is also strengthening and expanding its membership services, through use of Internet and lifetime e-mail service.

Career Center

Idaho Commons 334; 208/885-6121;careercenter@uidaho.edu;

The university is committed to providing students with a comprehensive set of career exploration and professional development services, including assistance in identifying career and major interests, developing skills and experience through academically-relevant work and experiential learning opportunities, preparing professional job/intern application materials, educating students on job search strategies, and preparing students for interviews. In addition to serving UI students and alumni, the Career Center also provides assistance to academic departments and employers.

Career Decision-Making and Professional Development Services are available to UI students and alumni of all majors. In today's job market, well-educated job candidates with relevant work experience are highly desired. Career Advisors help students prepare for employment by providing career education through workshops, career classes, group presentations, and individual advising sessions. The Career Center serves students at all stages of career development, from making decisions on their major and career interests, to identifying and participating in experiential learning opportunities (internships, co-ops, research experiences, and service-learning courses), to applying for professional careers upon graduation. A strong emphasis is placed upon the value of experiential learning. Students are encouraged to participate in a variety of activities to apply classroom theory in a real-life setting, clarify their educational and career goals, gain practical skills and experiences, and learn more about themselves, their community, and their future professions.

In addition to career guidance provided by Career Advisors, the Career Center also sponsors numerous events that connect students with potential employers. Some of these events include on-campus interviews, career fairs, etiquette dinners, and networking nights. These events connect students with hundreds of employers seeking candidates for their full-time, internship, and summer employment opportunities, as well as graduate and professional schools opportunities.

The Career Center also promotes civic engagement and hands-on learning through the Service Learning Center. By training faculty on the service-learning pedagogy and providing support for service-learning projects, a growing number of students experience a much deeper level of learning through the participation in service projects within their courses.

For more information, contact the Career Center, Idaho Commons Room 334, 208/885-6121, careercenter@uidaho.edu. Additional program information is available on the web at www.uidaho.edu/careercenter.

Child Care Services

UI Children's Center, 421 Sweet Ave;

The UI Children's Center offers childcare, early schooling, and after school programs for children from 6 weeks through 8 years of age. Accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs, the UI Children's Center offers a safe and nurturing environment as well as programs which promote the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of young children. For more information, call 208/885-6414 or visit their website, www.students.uidaho.edu/uikids.

The Margaret Ritchie School of Family and Consumer Sciences Child Development Laboratory provides childcare opportunities for preschool children. Call 208/885-6332 for information.

Computer Education

Re-entry students may find that they need to acquire or sharpen computer skills in order to complete class assignments. The Office of Enrichment Programs (885-6486) offers workshops in computer skills, for a nominal fee.

Counseling & Testing Center

Continuing Education Building, 3rd Floor; 208/885-6716;

Many students find that it is helpful to discuss their concerns with a professional who takes the time to listen and understand. Counselors at the Counseling & Testing Center (CTC) are available to meet with students to discuss personal, educational, or career concerns. Counseling can help students learn more about themselves and develop new skills to deal more effectively with personal problems such as depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorders, sexual abuse, relationships, academic pressures, and problems with alcohol or other substances. Counseling sessions are confidential. The CTC offers the following services: crisis intervention, individual counseling, group counseling, couples counseling, stress management, biofeedback training, educational presentations, referral, testing, and assessment of learning disabilities. For students who wish to research issues on their own or in conjunction with a counselor, the CTC has a self-help room with information to assist students with solutions to problems such as test anxiety, panic, depression, homesickness, relationship concerns, and a variety of other issues common to college students.

The CTC also offers the following career development and counseling services to help students select a major and a career direction that is right for them: (1) individual counseling for major and career decision making, (2) career interest testing and interpretation, and (3) computerized career exploration system (DISCOVER©).

The CTC offers a variety of testing and assessment services. These include placement tests such as COMPASS which is used to determine initial placement in math and English courses, and advanced placement exams such as CLEP which allow students to earn college credit by passing exams in a variety of subject areas. The CTC also administers many of the national testing programs such as the SAT, ACT, GRE, TOEFL, MELAB, MCAT and PRAXIS and provides a secure testing environment for students who need exams proctored. Assessment services include evaluations for learning disabilities and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. In addition, psychological, diagnostic and career assessments are often used in the context of counseling and are available at the CTC. A fee is charged for most testing and assessment services. For more detailed information go to www.ctc.uidaho.edu/testing.

Counseling services are available without charge to full-time students. A fee is charged for most assessment and proctoring services. The CTC is committed to offering services that are inclusive and respectful of all students, regardless of race and/or ethnicity, sex, color, religion, spirituality, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, or veteran status. For additional information on services provided by the Counseling & Testing Center, visit the web at www.ctc.uidaho.edu.

Dean of Students

TLC 232; 208/885-6757; askjoe@uidaho.edu; www.uidaho.edu/dos.

The University of Idaho is comprised of a diverse student population that requires the UI to have a diverse student services program. The Dean of Students Office provides a variety of services that focus on assisting students. Programs and services include advising students in living groups, as well as those off campus, ethnic minority students, and veterans. In addition, the Dean of Students Office coordinates New Student Orientation, Women's Center, Child Care Center, National Student Exchange Program, student leadership activities, fraternity/sorority programs, and student discipline/conduct activities.

This wide range of programs and services includes assisting families and students who may experience crisis situations that disrupt normal academic activities.

Staff members are trained to work with individuals and groups of students, or serve as a liaison between students, departments, and agencies on and off campus.

All of the services and programs are supportive of the academic mission of UI and are an integral part of the student's total education at the university. Services offered by the Dean of Students Office are highlighted below.

Greek Life


Nine national sororities have chapters on the University of Idaho campus. Each chapter owns and operates its own chapter house. These are: Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Phi, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, and Pi Beta Phi. The average cost for living in a sorority is $2,860 a semester, which includes charges for room, board, all activity fees.

The Panhellenic Council, which is the representative body of the nine sororities, coordinates inter-sorority activities, formulates policies, and facilitates the Formal and Informal Sorority Recruitment processes.

Arrangements for Sorority Living. Membership in a sorority is done by mutual selection, where sororities extend invitations to potential members who they are interested in asking to join their house. Women who are interested in sorority living should call 800/874-7335 or visit our website at www.uidaho.edu/greeklife. The selection of members in each sorority is made primarily during Formal Sorority Membership Recruitment, which is held in August before the beginning of the fall semester.

The Sorority Recruitment registration deadline is August 1 and the registration can be done online at www.uidaho.edu/greeklife. Formal Recruitment is not the only opportunity to become a member of a sorority, yet it is the only time when Recruitment is coordinated by Panhellenic Council and all sororities participate. If you are unable to participate in Formal Sorority Membership Recruitment but are interested in sorority membership, contact the Dean of Students Office, 208/885-6757; or greek@uidaho.edu.


Sixteen national fraternities are maintained on the University of Idaho campus.  These are:  Alpha Gamma Rho, Alpha Kappa Lambda, Alpha Tau Omega, Beta Theta Pi, Delta Chi, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Tau Delta, FarmHouse, Kappa Sigma, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Gamma Delta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Theta Chi. Each of these groups is represented in the Interfraternity Council, which unites them in common service to the university and promotes a spirit of cooperation and self-government among fraternities.

Membership in a fraternity is done by mutual selection, where the fraternities extend invitations to join and potential members either accept or decline these invitations. The membership selection process is facilitated in collaboration with the Interfraternity Council. The average cost for living in a fraternity is $2,500 a semester, which includes room, board, and activity fees.

Arrangement for Fraternity Living. Anyone interested in fraternity living should call 800/874-7335 or visit our website at www.uidaho.edu/greeklife. Those who indicate an interest in fraternity living will receive information from the various fraternities during summer before they arrive at the university. Fraternity Formal Recruitment is held before the beginning of the fall semester. If you are unable to participate in Formal Recruitment but are interested in fraternity membership, contact the Dean of Students Office, 208/885-6757; or greek@uidaho.edu.

Judicial Affairs

To maintain the core values of the University of Idaho, Judicial Affairs upholds the rules and regulations as stated in the Student Code of Conduct. If you are in breach of the Student Code of Conduct, or need to speak with someone about it, contact a Judicial Officer in the Dean of Students Office, 208/885-6757.

National Student Exchange

National Student Exchange (NSE) gives University of Idaho students the opportunity to attend one of 175 colleges or universities throughout the United States for one or two semesters. UI students pay UI fees or the resident fees of their host campus. Students normally need to apply by February for the next academic year. Credits earned on NSE fulfill University of Idaho residence-credit requirements.

To qualify for participation in the NSE, a student should: (1) be a full-time University of Idaho student; (2) be a sophomore, junior, or senior at the time of exchange; and (3) have a UI grade-point average of 2.5 at the time the application is filed. Information and applications may be obtained from the NSE Office in the Office of the Dean of Students, TLC 232 (208/885-7979).

Violence Prevention Programs & Resource Services

Resource Specialists provide violence prevention and risk reduction programming for students, staff and faculty on campus. Services include crisis intervention and referrals for on-going campus/community resources. Individual students, student leaders, university administrators, and community medical/legal professionals collaborate with Resource Specialists to create and implement positive campus policy. Risk reduction educational programs are available to all students at no cost. For more information call 208-885-2956 or come visit us in the Teaching and Learning Center Room 232.

UI Children's Center

See "Child Care Services".

Veterans' Benefits for Educational Assistance

The Office of Veteran Affairs assists veterans, dependents, reservists, and national guardsmen who are eligible for educational benefits through the Veterans Administration. Students expecting to receive veterans benefits must apply for benefits and should contact the Office of Veteran Affairs at least six weeks before the beginning of each semester.

To qualify for payments, all veterans must be released under honorable conditions. To receive full benefits, a veteran must be pursuing an approved course of study leading to a degree or other professional objective. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must carry 12 credits or the equivalent, and graduate students must carry 9 credits or the equivalent (see regulation O-1).

An advisory service is available to veterans and additional information, advice on benefits, or application forms may be obtained by writing to the veterans' advisor in the Office of the Dean of Students, PO Box 442431, Moscow ID 83844-2431, (208/885-7979);or online at www.uidaho.edu/dos.

Women's Center

The Women's Center staff is committed to providing a welcoming environment and a sense of community for all. At the Women's Center, we foster personal and professional growth through a network of support and services including educational programming, gender equity issues, information, referrals, and outreach.

Programs and services at the Women's Center include: brown-bag lunchtime programs (presentations and discussions covering a variety of topics); library (a circulating library of over 1,500 books and journals, primarily comprised of research, information, and literature regarding gender issues; information and referral to other agencies and services); lounge (a place to relax, read, study, get acquainted with others, and exchange ideas); newsletter (a publication announcing current programs and services, and news about women's issues). The center also assists with nontraditional student services and programs. The Women's Center is located in Room 109 of Memorial Gym.

Human Resources, Student and Temporary Hiring

415 W. 6th St; 208/885-3609; employment@uidaho.edu;

Human Resources, assists students in gaining employment experience to supplement financial support. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hiring departments across campus post available positions through the Human Resources office. All University of Idaho students are eligible to apply for positions listed on the Human Resources website. Job vacancies, applications, and additional information are available online at www.hr.uidaho.edu. All employment and payroll forms for students are completed at the Human Resources office.

Off-Campus Employment. Job Location and Development (JLD) works with the local business community to develop off-campus part-time, full-time, and summer jobs for students. The JLD office is located on the first floor of the SUB in the Student Financial Aid Office. JLD services are available to all students.. Phone: (208) 885-2778, website: www.students.uidaho.edu/finaid.

In addition, the Idaho Department of Labor, located at 1350 Troy Highway, behind the Eastside Marketplace in Moscow, is a free service and lists jobs in the community. The classified sections of the Moscow/Pullman Daily News and the campus paper, The Argonaut, carry job listings.

Intercollegiate Athletics

Athletics Department; ASUI Kibbie Dome 2302; 208/885-0200; www.GoVandals.com

Idaho has a proud athletic tradition and sponsors 16 intercollegiate sports for men and women. The teams are known as the Vandals and compete as a Division I member of the NCAA and Western Athletic Conference.

The men's program consists of teams in football, basketball, cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field, tennis, and golf. The women's program consists of teams in basketball, volleyball, cross country, indoor and outdoor track and field, tennis, golf, soccer and swimming and diving.

The athletic program enjoys splendid facilities. The Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center, known as the "Kibbie Dome," houses the Athletic Department offices, team locker rooms, weight room, athletic training facilities, and academic support unit. The Kibbie Dome itself is the site for football and men's and women's basketball games played at the Cowan Spectrum within the Kibbie Dome. Historic Memorial Gymnasium is the home for Idaho volleyball. Track and field and tennis make great use of the Kibbie Dome's indoor facilities for practice and competition as well, with the five-lane, 290-meter track and the nine indoor tennis courts. The women's soccer team plays its home matches on Guy Wicks Field. The university's 18-hole championship golf course, numerous outdoor tennis courts, and the UI Swim Center complete the facility picture.

Athletic Department Mission. The University of Idaho Department of Athletics is committed to enhancing the visibility and image of the university by:

  • Developing and maintaining competitive, integrity-based athletic programs
  • Uniting students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the community
  • Educating and graduating student-athletes
  • Competing for championships.

The core values are: Tradition, pride, commitment to excellence, customer focus, accountability, integrity, diversity and gender equity.

Athletic Program Goals. The goals of the UI athletics program are:

  1. Recruit and prepare student-athletes for successful competition academically, athletically, and socially. Contend for Western Athletic Conference Championships and graduate student-athletes at rates above national averages.
  2. Establish a national image for the University of Idaho and engage the campus and community. Improve and expand our image through marketing and outreach activities.
  3. Promote diversity and gender equity. Conduct an athletics program that incorporates, fosters, and enhances gender equity and diversity.
  4. Increase Revenue from Development and Corporate Partner (Learfield) Sponsorship Opportunities. Annually increase revenue toward the average of Western Athletic Department institutions.
  5. Enhance Internal and External Relationships. Strengthen our internal and external relationships through timely meetings, increased communications, and by exhibiting high standards of personal conduct at all times.
  6. Attain Financial Stability. Develop a user friendly and informative budget process that ensures fiscal accountability and contributes to an athletic reserve fund.
  7. Continue Improving Facilities. Complete fund raising for the Kibbie Dome and identify future priorities from feasibility study.
  8. Enhance Support Services. Inventory and evaluate support services and processes for efficiency and effectiveness.
  9. Recruit, Retain, Recognize and Reward Current and Former Coaches, Staff and Student Athletes. Identify and offer rewards and recognition for current and former student-athletes, coaches and staff.

Multicultural Affairs

Office of Multicultural Affairs; TLC. 230; 208/885-7716; fax: (208) 885-9494; oma@uidaho.edu; www.uidaho.edu/oma.

UI is committed to establishing and maintaining a campus environment that promotes cultural diversity. This is accomplished through the provision of student services that begin to address specific needs of Asian-American/Pacific Islander, Black or African-American, Chicano/Latino, and Native-American students. While offering targeted services and programs to these populations, OMA is fundamentally a campus wide resource meant to benefit the educational experience of the entire campus community by leading in the creation of an environment that supports multiculturalimsm and promotes inclusion.

The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) provides assistance to these traditionally underrepresented students in the areas of advocacy, financial aid, and accessing university student support programs. OMA is staffed by a full time director, a program coordinator and an administrative assistant. Staff members are involved in campus wide leadership and state wide organizations to promote diversity. One important resource of these efforts is a group of student mentors selected to help new multicultural students connect with resources and learn from the experiences of more experienced U of I students. This mentor group is called P.A.C.E. (Peer Advising on the College Experience). OMA continuously works with other departments across the university to resolve issues that may hinder recruitment, retention or the success of multicultural students.

Multicultural student organizations serve a vital role in retention and helping to promote and support cultural diversity on the UI campus. Some of the organizations that are currently active are the Asian American/Pacific Islander Association (AAPIA), the Native American Student Association (NASA), The Native-American Graduate Student Association, Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority Inc., Iota Psi Phi Sorority Inc., Lambda Theta Alpha Sorority Inc,, the Interested Ladies of Lambda Theta Alpha, the University of Idaho's Black Student Union (UI-BSU), Organizacion de Estudiantes Latino Americanos (OELA), MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanos de Aztlán), the Hispanic Business Association, Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity Inc., GSA (the Gay Straight Alliance), WOCA (Women of Color Alliance), the Men of Vision, the Hispanic Business Association (HBA), Sabor de la Raza, CAMPOS (the College Assistance Migrant Program Organization of Students), ALI (the Association of Latin-Americans and Iberians), ASA (African Students Association), the Associated Students of African Descent, and UNITY. OMA assists these and other organizations in planning and executing campus activities of special interest to their group's members (e.g., cultural heritage months, student leadership retreat, organizational meetings, and campus educational cultural activities). Many meetings of these student groups are held in the Multicultural Student Center, which is located in Rooms 228 and 229 of the Teaching and Learning Center (TLC). For further information contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs main office in room 230 of the Teaching and Learning Center at (208) 885-7716 or e-mail oma@uidaho.edu To visit our web page visit www.uidaho.edu/oma.

Polya Mathematics Center

Brink/Phinney Hall, 1st floor; 208/885-5717; polya@uidaho.edu;

The Polya Mathematics Center is a resource for students who take mathematics courses. Polya is located on the ground floor of Brink/Phinney Hall in two large rooms. The computer room offers students mathematical software and courseware and is staffed over 80 hours each week. The study and consultation room provides space for individual and group study with readily available assistance by instructors and teaching assistants.

The pre-calculus courses Math 108, 143 are taught entirely in Polya. The students in these courses attend one focus group each week where they are guided by an instructor who provides the necessary structure and direction. Lectures are delivered at computers by streaming video so that students can view them at their convenience and review them as needed. Those who prefer a live lecture can attend the lecture series offered nine times a week. Students work homework exercises on the computer. The computer-mediated exercises offer assistance and immediate detection of errors. The flexible organization of these courses offers students the option of working at a faster pace than required in order to complete the courses in less than a semester.

The Polya Math Center staff also offers drop-in assistance for students in Math 160, 170, 175, and 275. The hours and location for calculus assistance varies from semester to semester and are posted on the Polya web-site.

Recreational, Social, Extracurricular, and Co-curricular Activities

Idaho Commons; 208/885-2667 Student Union Building 208/885-4636; www.commons.uidaho.edu.

Many of the programs and activities at the Idaho Commons and Student Union are co-curricular in design, linking students' academic endeavors with out-of-class learning experiences. Students can get involved in numerous functions and activities that meet their personal goals for individual growth and leisure time activity. UI student organizations in the Idaho Commons and Student Union are integral to the planning and implementation of educational, cultural, and recreational activities for the campus.

ASUI Productions is a forum for students to organize almost all entertainment each year including blockbuster film series, small concerts, coffeehouses, "open mic" nights, comedians, educational speakers, and nationally touring bands. In the process, students gain experience with event planning and marketing. Idaho Commons and Student Union Programs feature weekly foreign and alternative films, noontime and summertime concerts, and educational enrichment events. A College Bowl Tournament is also sponsored by ASUI Productions. For more information, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Programs Office in the Idaho Commons Room 302, 208/885-6331.

ASUI - Student Government is dedicated to addressing the needs of undergraduate students and the campus community at large. The Associated Students University of Idaho is an organization that represents the most important element of the university, the students. The ASUI Senate, while acting as a liaison between the undergraduate student population and university administration, plays a very active role in shaping policy. Student senators, who are elected to a two-semester term, are also given the opportunity to work with and learn more about the Idaho State Legislature and the State Board of Education. For those students who have an interest and want to shape policy in a specific area of campus life, the ASUI features many different boards: academics, activities, civic engagement, student issues, Idaho Commons and Union Facilities, ASUI productions, athletics, natural resources and conservation, and Student Recreation Center. Opportunities are also available for student appointment to university-wide committees. ASUI offices are located in the Idaho Commons in the Student Activities and Leadership Programs Office, Room 302, 208/885-6331, www.asui.uidaho.edu.

Civic Education Project and Volunteer Programs. The national community service movement is alive and well at the University of Idaho. Our programs are dedicated to providing students with opportunities to serve the community while developing group leadership skills and a better understanding of citizenship. The program coordinates several one-day service projects with the community including 'Make a Difference Day' and 'Saturday of Service' (Youth Service Day). The program also keeps an on-going catalog of service and volunteer positions available to students and student organizations. Some University classes offer credit for service commitments, and the program assists in connecting these students to community service projects. The program promotes the belief that young people can greatly impact our communities and future through community service and by building a lifelong ethic of civic engagement. In addition, the program offers national community service based scholarship programs such as the Bonner's Service Leaders for students, and administers these programs in the community. For more information on volunteering, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Programs Office, Idaho Commons Room 302, 208/885-6331

The Enrollment Services, located in the newly renovated Student Union, is the headquarters for Undergraduate Admissions, Registrar, Student Accounts, and Office of Undergraduate Recruitment. Branch offices of Vandal ID Card, Parking, and Housing are located near the Information Desk. The Financial Aid office and the UI Bookstore are also nearby. Tours of the campus originate from the Office of Undergraduate Recruitment on the main floor. For information on Student Union activities and services, call 208/885-INFO or 208/885-4636.

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) supports and promotes graduate student education and graduate student life at the University of Idaho. This includes creating programs and assisting graduate students during their transition from student life to professional life. GSA elections are held annually as a commitment to providing a collective voice for graduate students to the university and to the state. The GSA office is located in the Idaho Commons, Room 305, just off the Overlook Lounge. GSA can be reached at 208/885-9446 or gsa@uidaho.edu.

The Idaho Commons is the center of campus life and provides programs, amenities, and services to enhance the educational experience of UI students, their families, and guests. Located at the heart of campus, the Idaho Commons serves as the crossroads and meeting place for the University of Idaho. Services offered at the Idaho Commons include meeting rooms for nonacademic programs, a variety of student support services, a food court, coffee shop, convenience store, bookstore, copy service, credit union, ATMs, lounges, and administrative offices. Through various programs and services, the Idaho Commons cultivates and enhances the living and learning experience of students. Our students enjoy the many aspects of the building itself while gathering with friends to study, learn, and socialize with each other in a comfortable atmosphere. Cultural enrichment programs such as art exhibits, music, and speaker presentations are available to students, other members of the university community, and area residents. For information on Commons' activities, call 208/885-CMNS (2667) or 208/885-2233.

Leadership Development starts from the moment students enroll at the University of Idaho. An annual Fall leadership retreat promotes student development and growth through campus involvement. Students can stay involved throughout the year through leadership training seminars, student organizations, and meetings between student leaders and university administrators. The Group Opportunities and Leadership (GOAL) program stretches both mind and body. Through activities such as ropes courses and team initiatives, students will develop knowledge of leadership styles, conflict resolution, communication skills, and problem solving. For more information about leadership development, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Programs Office, Idaho Commons Room 302, 208/885-6331.

Looking for an adventure experience? Outdoor Programs offers classes and informal instruction in some of today's top outdoor activities; kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing, and other winter sports. Take advantage of Outdoor Programs Resource Center and Climbing Center, which includes 6000 square feet of climbing surface and a 55 foot pinnacle. Want to experience the great outdoors, but lack the gear? The Outdoor Rental Center has the most extensive inventory of quality outdoor equipment in the Northwest. From rafts, kayaks, and canoes to skis, climbing gear, and camping equipment, the Outdoor Rental Center is ready to serve students and the Moscow community with their outdoor needs. The Outdoor Program, the Outdoor Rental Center, and the Climbing Center are located in the Student Recreation Center (SRC). For information, call the Outdoor Program 885-6810, Rental Center 885-6170, www.asui.uidaho.edu/outdoors.

Recreational facilities located on the Moscow campus include the new Student Recreation Center with approximately 85,000 square feet devoted to student health and recreation. In it are a climbing wall with a 55 ft. high pinnacle (the highest of any university), fitness equipment, indoor jogging track, 2 full-size gyms, a multi-purpose court, 2 multi-purpose/aerobic rooms, locker rooms, and a social lounge. Additional recreation facilities include the ASUI Kibbie Activity Center, the Swim Center, an 18-hole golf course, and indoor and outdoor tennis and handball courts.

Sound, Production, and Lighting Services (SPL) offers training and experiential opportunities for student employees. SPL provides professional sound, lighting, and multimedia production for student-sponsored performance and entertainment events. Employment opportunities exist for technicians to work with sound, lights, and film. Other employment is also available to students interested in computer and network support. SPL is located on the 3rd floor of the Student Union, 208/885-6947.

In Student Media, students utilize real-world technology in the various productions of the student newspaper, yearbook, FM radio, and advertising. Argonaut, the twice-weekly student newspaper, gives students the chance to gain real-world experience in media writing, computer graphics, photography, advertising, marketing, and business management. Editors, paginators, reporters, and advertising representatives have the opportunity to work with the newest technological equipment to create a product comparable to many commercial newspapers. The Gem of the Mountains yearbook is about much more than putting out an annual; the most important commitment of the GEM staff has been their continued dedication toward preserving the UI legacy for students and alumni. KUOI-89.3 FM, the student-run campus radio station, provides a free-form alternative to other media in the Moscow-Pullman area. Students have the opportunity to serve as on-air announcers, music and programming directors, and station manager. All student media organizations are housed on the 3rd floor of the Student Union Building, 208/885-7825.

Variety is the spice of life, and there is no better place to find your niche than with the variety of Student Organizations available at the University of Idaho. With more than 150 campus-wide organizations, sports clubs, and Greek chapters, students have many choices when it comes to customizing involvement. Catch a glimpse of the options available on campus by attending the Student Involvement Fair and browsing the Student Organization Guide to Involvement. Not only is it easy to find a student organization, it is just as simple to start your own. Through resources in the Student Activities Office, new organizations can gain recognition, build membership, and apply for funding from the ASUI Activities Board. For more information, contact the Student Activities and Leadership Programs Office, Idaho Commons Room 302, 208/885-6331.

The Student Union, located at Sixth and Deakin Streets, is home to Enrollment Services; including the Registrar's Office, Admissions, Office of Undergraduate Recruitment, Student Accounts/Cashiers, Student Financial Aid; Off-Campus Student Employment; Student Media; Sound, Production, and Lighting; International Ballroom; Borah Theater; UI Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival office; and several meeting rooms. Services offered at the Student Union include student computer labs, a video center, a deli/espresso cafe, catering services, copy service, ATMs, and lounges. 208/885-4636.

Religious Activities

The university is served by three campus religious centers: Campus Christian Center (corner of University and Elm); LDS Institute of Religion (902 Deakin); and St. Augustine's Roman Catholic Center (corner of Sixth and Deakin). These centers provide opportunities for the study and practice of religion as well as resources in counseling and guidance. In addition, all of Moscow's churches provide opportunities for religious development for University of Idaho students.

Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program

Morrill Hall Room 207; 208/885-6748; mcnair@uidaho.edu;

The goal of McNair is to increase the attainment of the Ph.D. by students from underrepresented segments of society. The McNair Achievement Program is a federally funded educational assistance (TRIO) program designed to prepare undergraduate participants for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities.

McNair participants have demonstrated strong academic potential and are chosen from disadvantaged backgrounds. Program staff and faculty mentors guide these participants through their undergraduate experience, encourage their entrance into graduate programs, and track their progress to successful completion of advanced degrees.

Services provided by the program include: research opportunities for participants; mentoring; seminars and other scholarly activities designed to prepare students for doctoral studies; summer internships; tutoring; academic counseling; assistance in obtaining student financial aid; assistance in securing admission and financial aid for enrollment in graduate programs.

To be eligible to apply for the McNair Achievement Program, a student must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident; must qualify as a low-income AND first generation (neither parent/guardian has earned a baccalaureate degree) college student, OR a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education; must have obtained sophomore, junior, or senior status; must have at least a 2.80 GPA; and must be considering pursuing a doctoral degree (Ph.D.). All candidates must have completed at least their sophomore year of college. Students must apply and be accepted into the McNair Program. Potential Scholars should access the McNair website for more information and applications.

Student Accounts and Cashiers

Student Union Building; 208/885-7447;acctrec@uidaho.edu;
www.uidaho.edu/controller/studentaccounts (Fees and Expenses, Deferred Payment of Fees, http://www.uidaho.edu/controller/studentaccounts, http://www.uidaho.edu/studentaccounts)

Billing and Payment Information

Students are email billed in July for fall semester and e-mail billed in December for spring semester. Students are also e-mail billed monthly throughout the semester for unpaid balances. All semester fees and tuition are due on or before the first day of each semester. Charges incurred over the course of the semester are considered due in full with 10 days of the posting date. The University of Idaho does not drop courses for nonpayment. Students are responsible for dropping courses prior to the first day of the term to avoid being billed and graded.  Accounts with balances due greater than $100 will be blocked from adding/dropping/registration.  Transcripts will not be released for students owing the university. Federal loan and grant regulations do not permit using federal financial aid to pay a balance from a prior aid year. Students may access their account information on Vandal Web www.vandalweb.uidaho.edu

Failure to receive a bill does not relieve students from payment responsibilities.

Credit card payments for fees, tuition, and room and board are not accepted at the cashier's window; these payments need to be made online. The UI assesses a 2.5% fee on credit cards payments of student fees, tuition, and room and board.  The fee will not apply to family housing or incidental charges, like parking tickets, health center charges, etc. that are paid by credit card at the cashier's window. The University's web check application allows customers to pay online with a checking account and is not subject to the 2.5% fee.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, also known as the Buckley Amendment, is a Federal law that governs the confidentiality of student records. Generally, the law requires that educational institutions maintain the confidentiality of what are termed "education records," ensures that each student has access to his or her education records, and provides students with a limited opportunity to correct erroneous education records. This means that the University cannot release student records (grades, account information, class schedule, student ID, etc) to anyone other than the student without written consent from the student. A Consent To Release Information form is available for the student to complete and return to the University at www.uidaho.edu/controller/studentaccounts/forms.

E-mail Usage and On-line Account Access: The UI's official e-mail policy states, "A University assigned student e-mail account shall be the University's official means of e-mail communication with any student required to have a UI e-mail account. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their University assigned e-mail account." Accordingly, the Student Accounts Office will use the official UI e-mail address to communicate with students. We send interim billing notices and other information using e-mail only, and it is essential that all students regularly check their UI e-mail accounts. Student Account information is available on Vandal Web under the Student Account Information/ Student Account Center. If parents or other individuals need access to student billing information, the student is responsible for granting them access to the information.

Statistics Assistance Center

Idaho Commons 329; 208/885-4683;

The Statistics Assistance Center (SAC) was developed to give assistance to students taking lower level statistics courses. Statistics graduate students in the SAC provide help for students enrolled in Statistics 150, 251, 301, and 401. The staff works to provide a friendly, non-threatening environment where students will feel comfortable to work, ask questions, and learn statistics outside of class.

The SAC is generally open for statistics tutoring Monday through Friday. Statistics tutoring hours vary each semester so please check with the Bi-State Department of Statistical Science Office (Brink 415A; 208/885-2929) for scheduled times. Students can visit the SAC on a drop-in basis during scheduled times for help with homework problems. The SAC is next to a Student Computing Lab that has a number of computers that provide supporting software for statistics courses.

Student Financial Aid Services

Student Union Building; 208/885-6312; finaid@uidaho.edu;

The office of Student Financial Aid Services assists students and their parents with applying for financial assistance in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and part-time work to help pay the cost of attending college. These programs may include scholarships, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program (LEAPP), Federal or Idaho State Work Study Programs (FWS or IWS), Federal Perkins Loans, William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans, Graduate Student PLUS, and William D. Ford Federal Direct Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS). Financial aid is expected to supplement student and family resources. The office also assists students in finding part-time jobs off campus.

Application Process:

Priority Dates. Because funds are limited, to receive priority consideration for all funds the student applicant must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so it is received by the federal processor by the priority date each year. The priority date is February 15. This priority date applies to students attending both fall and spring semesters. It is recommended that students file an electronic FAFSA form; the website link can be found on the Financial Aid homepage, www.uidaho.edu/financialaid. In addition to the FAFSA, all students who are new to the university must also have a complete application for admission on file by the February 15 priority date. Students who meet all of these priority dates will receive first consideration for all funds for which they qualify. Students who do not meet all of these priority dates will still be considered for Federal Pell Grants and William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans, which are available throughout the year.

Enrollment. Financial aid during the academic year is usually awarded in expectation of full-time enrollment: 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students, 10 credits per semester for law students, or 9 credits per semester for graduate students. If a student is receiving aid as a full-time student, he or she must be registered as a full-time student to receive the aid on the first day of class. Students are required to enroll full-time to receive scholarships, unless the donor specifies special circumstances allowing part-time enrollment. All students must enroll at least half-time (6 credits per semester for undergraduate students or 5 credits per semester for graduate or law students) to be considered for Direct Loans. Students must continue to be enrolled in their required credits through the 10th day of classes (census date) of the semester to continue receiving their financial aid and scholarships for the semester.

Scholarships. Students who wish to apply ONLY for scholarships not based on financial need and no other types of financial aid must do one of the following in order to receive consideration: (1) Students who are attending the university for the first time only need to have a complete application for admission, including all transcripts and required test scores (freshmen), on file by the February 15 priority date; (2) Students who are enrolled at the university during the prior spring semester in at least 9 credits for undergraduate students, 10 credits for law students, or 6 credits for graduate students will be considered automatically (without completing any additional forms) for scholarships not based on financial need; (3) Students who are enrolled at the university for the prior spring semester but in less than 9 credits for undergraduate students, 10 credits for law students, or 6 credits for graduate students will need to notify the Associate Director for Scholarships in Student Financial Aid Services by February 15 of their interest in scholarships not based on financial need; (4) Students who previously attended the university, but were not enrolled during the prior spring semester, must notify the Associate Director for Scholarships in the Office of Student Financial Aid Services of their intent to enroll by the February 15 priority date.

Work Study. Students who are awarded Federal Work Study or Idaho State Work Study will be offered part-time employment in order to earn their award amount. Students must indicate their interest in the Work Study program on the FAFSA. Awards are made based on financial need to students who meet all the priority dates.

Stafford Direct Loans. The University of Idaho participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Loan funds will be provided to the student directly from the U.S. Department of Education through the University of Idaho rather than funds coming from a bank or lender. Students will be awarded these loans and asked to sign a master promissory note at www.studentloans.gov. Students will need to sign a master promissory note only once during their career at the UI. Once the signed promissory note is received, the funds will be credited to the student's account.

Eligible Programs. Students who have one or more bachelor's degrees, who are working toward an additional undergraduate degree or a teaching certificate and who are not yet admitted to graduate school, are considered to be second degree-seeking undergraduates and are not eligible for federal grant programs (Pell, SEOG, or LEAPP). They are restricted to undergraduate borrowing limits for loan programs. Graduate Students and students in the College of Law are eligible to apply for all financial aid programs except Federal Pell and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. Non-degree-seeking students (those not enrolled in a degree program) may not be considered for any type of financial aid. Correspondence classes may not be funded by any type of federal financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress. Students at the University of Idaho must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to receive federal student financial aid. Satisfactory academic progress will be reviewed at the end of each spring semester. For purposes of satisfactory academic progress, the academic year is defined as summer, fall, and spring. Therefore, the summer performance prior to the fall and spring will be included in the review of satisfactory academic progress. Students receiving financial aid for the first time will be considered as being in good academic standing until they reach the defined annual evaluation time for satisfactory academic progress. It should be noted that the eligibility criteria for financial aid differ from those for academic eligibility contained in regulation L-6.

Undergraduate Program. An undergraduate student must have a minimum cumulative grade-point average upon review of satisfactory academic progress. The required minimum cumulative grade-point average is as follows:

Having completed
(number of credits)

Minimum Cumulative GPA



33 or more


Students must successfully complete 75 percent of the credits attempted, up to a maximum of 12 attempted credits each semester. All attempted credits for the summer, fall, and spring semesters will be totaled and the required number to be successfully completed will be 75 percent of that total. If a student enrolls in one semester only, the student will be expected to complete 75 percent of attempted hours for that semester.

Successful completion is defined as receiving earned credit as defined by the UI Academic Policy. For students receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as the number of credits enrolled for the census date used for federal financial aid. For students not receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as attempted hours recorded at the end of the semester in the Registrar's system.

A student is allowed to have attempted up to 150 percent of the required credits for a degree. Attempted credit hours is defined as the number of attempted credits in the registrar's system or the number of earned credits, whichever is higher. For an undergraduate degree other than a Bachelor of Architecture, a student will be allowed 150 percent of the 128 minimum credit hours required for a total of 192 credits. Once a student reaches 192 credits attempted, he or she will no longer be making satisfactory academic progress and will be placed on financial aid probation. Students in the Bachelor of Architecture program will be allowed 150 percent of the 160 credits required for the five-year degree, for a total of 240 credits. Students working on a second bachelor's degree will be allowed a total of 260 undergraduate credits.

Effective July 1, 2011, new regulations take effect for students who do not make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If a student cannot meet the minimum GPA, 75% completion rule or Max credits rule, they will be placed on financial aid probation, and no further financial aid would be available without a successful appeal. In prior years, a student could regain eligibility for financial aid by appealing to their college of study for a waiver of their suspension OR successfully complete 12 credits with a minimum GPA of 2.00 for a semester without federal or state financial aid. Students can continue to appeal to their college of study for a waiver, however new regulations may require an academic plan before reinstatement can be considered. In addition, under the new rules, if a student's cumulative GPA cannot be raised to the minimum standard required (2.00 for undergraduate students) after one term, then the student would be required to complete an Academic Plan through their college of study. The Academic Plan must include the following elements:

a. The Academic Plan must state how the student can regain federal aid eligibility. This will include the number credits needed to obtain a degree and the minimum GPA that the student must achieve to regain a "good" academic progress standing.

b. The student will be asked to explain and possibly document the situations that warrant an appeal such as a family member's death, student illness, injury or other special circumstance.

c. Detail why the student did not meet SAP and what has changed that will allow the student to meet SAP standards for the next evaluation period.

An appeal for reinstatement form from their college of study will be provided to students seeking reinstatement of aid. Either the student's college of study or the financial aid office will inform the student of any deadlines related to appeals. If an appeal is granted, only one term can be approved for reinstatement of financial aid. A student must meet SAP standards each term after reinstatement to avoid being disqualified from future financial aid.

Graduate Program. A graduate student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 or better to continue to receive federal financial assistance.

Graduate students must successfully complete 75 percent of their credits attempted, up to a maximum of 9 attempted credits each semester. All attempted credits for the summer, fall, and spring semesters will be totaled and the required number to be successfully completed will be 75 percent of that total. If a student enrolls in one semester only, the student will be expected to complete 75 percent of attempted hours for that semester.

Successful completion is defined as receiving earned credit as defined by the UI Academic Policy. For students receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as the number of credits enrolled for the census date used for federal financial aid. For students not receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as attempted hours recorded at the end of the semester in the Registrar's system.

A graduate student in the master's degree program (except M.Ed./M.S. Counseling and Human Services, M.F.A.) requires an average of 36 credits for graduation. Therefore, students will be allowed to accumulate up to 150 percent of the 36 credits, for a total of 54 credits. Once a student accumulates 54 attempted credits, he or she will be suspended from receiving further financial assistance. If a student is working on a second master's degree, the student will be allowed to attempt 27 additional credits, for a total of 81 attempted credits, before financial assistance is suspended.

Students enrolled in the M.Ed./M.S. Counseling and Human Services, M.F.A., and all specialist degree programs require 60 credits for graduation. Students in these programs will be allowed to attempt up to 150 percent of the 60 credits for a total of 90 attempted credits. Attempted credit hours is defined as the number of credits the student is enrolled in on the census date.

All doctoral degree graduation requirements require a minimum of 78 credits. Students enrolled in doctoral degree programs will be allowed to attempt 150 percent of the 78 credits for a total of 117 credits.

Law Students. Any students enrolled in the law program will be required to make satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the academic requirements of the College of Law.

Any student enrolled in the law program whose cumulative grade-point average falls below a 2.00 at the conclusion of their first semester will be placed on academic probation. If the student fails after one additional semester to obtain and maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average, the student's federal financial aid will be suspended. A student whose cumulative grade-point falls below 2.00 at the end of his or her second semester, or any semester thereafter, will be suspended.

Any student who is suspended due to a grade-point average below 2.00 may once again be eligible to receive assistance upon reinstatement by the dean.

A law student is expected to successfully complete 75 percent of all attempted credits, up to a maximum of 10 credits each semester. Successful completion is defined as receiving earned credits as defined by UI Academic Policy. For students receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as the number of credits enrolled for the census date for federal financial aid. For students not receiving federal financial aid, attempted credits will be defined as attempted hours recorded at the end of the semester in the registrar's system. If a student is enrolled in one semester only, he or she must successfully complete 75 percent of the credits attempted for that semester.

Students enrolled in law must have a minimum of 88 credits for graduation. Students who have attempted 150 percent of the minimum required for graduation, a total of 132 credits, will be suspended from receiving further financial assistance. Attempted credit hours is defined as the number of credits a student is enrolled in on the census date.

Petition for Reinstatement of Aid. Students wishing to appeal their suspension should contact the dean's office in the college in which they are enrolled. Graduate students should contact the College of Graduate Studies and law students should contact the College of Law.

Upon receiving an appeal from the student, the academic dean (or designee) may require the completion of an academic plan before reinstatement can be considered. New regulations require a review of a student's SAP each semester to ensure that a degree is obtained in a reasonable time frame. If a reinstatement of aid is granted, the waiver can be applied to one semester only. SAP must be maintained for the remainder of the student's tenure to avoid any future academic probation. The director will review the recommendation and make the final determination of whether to waive the suspension for the student. The decision of the academic college and the director of Student Financial Aid Services may be appealed to the Student Financial Aid Committee and then to the Administrative Hearing Board. Students may appeal to the academic college in which they were enrolled at the time of suspension or the academic college in which they are currently enrolled.

Any special circumstances concerning the student's academic progress for student financial aid will be reviewed on an individual basis. The director of Student Financial Aid Services may reinstate a student based on special circumstances unique to that student.

A letter will be sent to the student informing him or her of the financial aid suspension. A copy of the notice of financial aid suspension will be forwarded to the academic dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Athletic Scholarship Appeal. Students who have had their athletic scholarship aid reduced or eliminated may appeal the loss of funds by submitting an appeal in writing to the chair of the Student Financial Aid Committee.

Financial aid policies and procedures are subject to change without notice to assure compliance with federal, state and university regulations. The Office of Student Financial Aid Services may be contacted for current information (208/885-6312). Additional information is available at the Financial Aid website, www.uidaho.edu/finaid.

Student Health Insurance Program

Student Health Building; 208/885-2210; health@uidaho.edu;

The Idaho State Board of Education requires health insurance as a condition of enrollment for all degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students physically enrolled for classes or completing other required degree work within the State of Idaho. Students enrolled for four (4) credit hours on the Moscow campus or eight (8) credit hours at the UI centers must provide proof of valid health insurance or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Program. The health insurance requirement applies to all international students enrolled at either UI centers or the Moscow campus regardless of degree-seeking status or credit hours.

The Student Health Insurance Program features a $1,000,000 lifetime plan maximum, no pre-existing condition exclusion, and many benefit features that assure students receive an excellent benefit package at a very favorable cost. Students may waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Program by providing proof of valid insurance prior to the enrollment/waiver deadline. See www.health.uidaho.edu/ship for additional information.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services; 208/885-6693; www.health.uidaho.edu.

Student Health Services, in partnership with Moscow Family Medicine, provides a broad spectrum of outpatient medical care services. The medical staff includes Board-certified physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners. Services include pharmacy, lab and X-ray, nutrition counseling and psychiatry. Additional counseling services are available in cooperation with the Counseling and Testing Center.

Health education classes and wellness programs are available to students. These programs range from fitness and nutrition classes to substance abuse and smoking cessation courses. A list of programs and additional information is available at the Student Health Services web site, www.health.uidaho.edu.

The hours of operation, scope of services, and fee-for-service charge schedule are subject to change during the academic year. Please look for changes notices at the Student Health Services web site.

Student Rights, Conduct, and Records

The "Statement of Student Rights," "Student Code of Conduct," and "Student Records Policy" are published in the Faculty-Staff Handbook and in the booklet entitled "Policies and Information of Interest to Students." The booklet is available from the Office of the Dean of Students (TLC 232), the Office of Academic Affairs (Admin 104), and other locations around the campus. Members of the university community are urged to familiarize themselves with these basic documents.

Tutoring and Academic Assistance Programs (TAAP)

Idaho Commons 306; 208/885-6307; taap@uidaho.edu;

The mission of TAAP is to help students achieve their full potential by providing a seamless array of academic and access services in a student-focused, supportive environment. 

Tutoring and Learning Services. taap@uidaho.edu Tutoring and Learning Services (TLS) provides to all University Students a wide variety of no-cost academic services: small group tutoring created in response to student requests and based on tutor availability, individual learning assistance, two-credit College Success Strategies course(s) through Interdisciplinary Studies (INTR), the College Success Series (a weekly offering of academic success workshops), living group presentations arranged by request, and an array of study skill hand-outs and reference books, and on-line resources.

Student Support Services – a TRIO program. sss@uidaho.edu Student Support Services (SSS), an academic support program, assists 200 participating students each year to (1) identify and pursue their educational goals, (2) establish, maintain, or improve their academic performance, and (3) work through the challenges of university life.

The Student Support Services program offers participants individualized tutoring in most subject areas, educational planning and goal setting, academic advising, and focused learning and study skill development. SSS also provides personal support. This support is particularly helpful for students with specific needs (e.g., delayed entry or re-entry, nontraditional preparation, disabilities which impact learning, academic probation and reinstatement, or provisional admission).

To be eligible for services, a student must be either a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident, must have a need for academic services, and must be EITHER (1) low income (according to federal guidelines) OR (2) from a first generation family (neither parent/guardian has earned a baccalaureate degree) OR (3) have a documented disability which impacts learning. SSS Merit Scholarships (between $890-$1,000) will be awarded spring semester to each active program participant with freshman or sophomore standing, who is a PELL Grant recipient with financial need, and who makes satisfactory academic progress fall semester. Students are accepted into the program on a first-come, first-served basis and are encouraged to contact the office as early in the semester as possible. 

Disability Support Services. dss@uidaho.edu The University of Idaho has established services for students with disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended.

The mission of Disability Support Services (DSS) is to provide equal and integrated access to students with permanent or temporary disabilities. Students requesting accommodations/services are required to provide the DSS office with appropriate disability documentation to support their request. In order to receive services in a timely manner, students are advised to make requests with adequate advance notice. Services include, but are not limited to, alternate text, note-takers, sign language interpreters, real time captioners, disability parking and campus accessibility information, campus orientation, testing accommodations, and assistance with learning as it relates to disabilities. Additional accessibility information is available on the website of the Office of Human Rights Compliance at www.webs.uidaho.edu/hrco/.

Students are asked to notify DSS as soon as possible to discuss specific disability-related concerns and needs. This voluntary self-identification enables DSS to determine appropriate and reasonable accommodations to make classes, programs, services, and activities accessible to people with disabilities.  Information regarding disabilities will be kept in strict confidence and has no effect on admission to the university.  Federal law prohibits the Admissions Office from making preadmissions inquiries about disabilities. 

Writing Center

Idaho Commons 323; 208/885-6644

Located on the third floor of the Idaho Commons, the English department's Writing Center offers peer tutoring assistance to all UI students. Writing Center tutors assist students with analyzing writing strengths and weaknesses; developing ideas; and improving focus, organization, grammar, and punctuation. The Writing Center offers weekday, evening, and weekend hours. Students may stop by, telephone, or visit the website for further information and a current schedule.